Borgata Casino Cancels $2 Million GTD Tourney Due to Counterfeit Chips
Borgata Cancels $2 Million GTD Tourney Due to Counterfeit Chips
The Borgata Winter Poker Open $2 Million guaranteed event has been cancelled after an investigation by the casino and the New Jersey Division of Gaming Enforcement revealed that at least one entrant had used counterfeit chips. With only 27 players remaining the tournament was suspended as Senior Vice President of Operations at the Borgata Joe Lupo stated that the tournament had been compromised and the decision had been made to suspend play. That suspension led to a full cancellation by the DGE and all entry money and prize money has been frozen while relevant parties take a look at what exactly has gone on.
Tom Ballance the Borgata’s President of the Borgata said that, "Thus far, investigators have found that one or more tournament entrants improperly introduced a significant number of counterfeit chips into the tournament, gaining an unfair advantage and compromising the integrity of play for the event.” Ballance goes on to say that, "It is extremely unfortunate that the criminal actions of these individuals can have a detrimental impact on more than 4,000 other entrants. We fully understand and regret the disappointment this cancellation causes our valued customers, and we will work diligently with DGE investigators to resolve the situation as quickly as possible.” Before play was cancelled Allard Broedelet was leading the pack chasing a first place prize of $372,123 of the total $2,407,000 prize pool which had been generated by the 4,812 players that had entered. A total of 423 players had busted in money seats, and all will have to wait until their is a resolution to this issue.
- Paypal Returns to US Online Gaming - Where it's Regulated August 25, 2020
- PokerStars Introducing Major Changes and a Marketing Revamp for 2016 August 25, 2020
- What is the Mid-States Poker Tour? August 25, 2020
- Guts Poker is Set to be Launched on Microgaming Poker Network August 25, 2020
- PokerStars Launches UK TV Advertisement August 25, 2020
- PokerStars TCOOP Sets New Heights August 13, 2020
- Remi Castaignon Wins EPT Deauville August 13, 2020
- PokerStars Atlantic City Casino Purchase Dealayed August 2, 2020
- Poker Host To Move to Equity Poker Network July 30, 2020
- Poker Tournaments July 27, 2020