Mike Matusow Wins NBC Heads up Championship
Mike "The Mouth" Matusow Wins NBC Championship
Two big names played it out in the NBC National Heads-Up Poker Championship (NHUPC) in Mike Matusow and
. Mike disappeared from the poker scene a little with Black Friday and the whole Full Tilt mess while Phil rode it out and if anything has gone from strength to strength during that time. However it was Matusow who came out on top in this event pocketing $750,000. Saturday was the final day of the popular NBC event and it was a tough start for Matusow who at one stage looked like going out to John Hennigan in the first match of the day. Matusow pulled through and made the semi final to take on Scott Seiver, again doing things the hard way but coming good in the end. Hellmuth on the other side of the draw in the hearts bracket saw off Katchalov to make the semis to set up a match against Joe Serock. The Poker Brat came good when it mattered and set up the final against Matusow in what we think is the match up that most people want to see, with two of the most vocal players going head to head.
Matusow v Hellmuth - The Final
The final was played in a best of three format and Hellmuth just couldn't get going in the first game, never holding a chip lead and eventually pushing all in with a pair of fives and getting seen off by Matusow's pair of Aces - 1-0 Matusow. Mike the mouth just needed the one more game to take the title and was hoping for a swift victory as he stormed into the lead in the second game. Hellmuth came back and for a while it could have gone either way and eventually it came down to pairs v pairs with Hellmuths' tens holding up. The final game started just after midnight in what was a long day for all, and Matusow dominated with Hellmuth simply not getting the rub of the green. It took just 30 minutes for Mike to win, taking the championship with a well played flush. After the match they both had a few words to say on Twitter with Mike posting, "Im laying here in bed overcome with emotion truly wondering if me and hellmuth have changed the game of poker for Americans on tv once again." Hellmuth offered, "Lost in 3rd match of best of 3 matches to @TheMouthMatusow in the finals of the NBC Heads Up Championships. Congrats to Mikey on the Win." Seems like there is no love lost and both will be back on a TV near you soon!
- The Borgata Poker Open Serves up $6.5 Million in Guaranteed Tourneys November 9, 2020
- $10,000 Borgata Poker Open Super Satellite Tournament November 9, 2020
- The New Americas Cardroom Mobile Tournament App September 3, 2020
- WSOP Circuit Starts for the 8th Year at Harrah's Tunica August 25, 2020
- Americas Cardroom 3.5 Million OSS XIV August 25, 2020
- $1,000 Betsoft Intertops Slots Tournament August 25, 2020
- $5 Million in Guaranteed Wins Continues at ACR August 25, 2020
- Special New Years Day Tournaments August 13, 2020
- SSP News: 2012 AAPT Macau Schedule Released August 13, 2020
- The Million Dollar Warm Up's at Americas Cardroom August 11, 2020